Example query by a victim

"One Mr.Tom Williams of "Williamsassoc Tomconsult", London, Had approached me of investing US$1.2million in India through me in the real estate business. His attorney has informed that the fund will be transferred from Kas finance company, London through diplomatic sources to India. Mr. Tom said that he will pay tax UK pound of 30,000/- for despatching the fund to India. He has asked me to pay the balance tax of UK pound 3,250/- in India to claim the fund from the diplomat. I don't mind to pay the money. But, I wanted to know is it an approved way of transferring of fund? Can I believe them? Because, Mr.Tom told me that the fund comes to India as a consignment. My fear is that, I should not be cheated by them by delivering a consignment which contains dolls and chocolates. Can you direct me the documents I should ask from them before making any payment?"

A good example of a query by a victim

  • the fraudster does not work for the company mentioned and/or the company name is corrupted:
    Williams Ass. Tom Consult is not a company, nor is Kas Finance. Moreover, Williams Associates, Tom Consult and Kas Bank all work in other lines of business and can in no way be related to investments in real estate.
  • the manner in which business is conducted is shady, to say the least:
    no transfer through banking systems, but a diplomat as a go-between!
  • the means of communication is through free e-mail accounts (often using fake company names or corrupting company names) and untraceable mobile phones
  • the victim is entrusted with considerable sums of money and is promised huge rewards for nothing:
    or so it seems...
  • a certain amount is supposedly paid by the scammer (30 grand), so that the advance fee to be paid by the victim seems relatively small (a mere 3,250 quid!)
  • the transaction is supposed to be secure because legal documents are provided:
    these are, off course, null and void!

No comments: